Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Mixology

If you've ever watched the movie or read the book High Fidelity, you'll know that the main character goes into a diatribe over the importance and significance of making a good mix tape.

I am a student of this ideology. I work very hard on my compilations when I take the time to create them. I tend to include appropriate dialog from movies or television that seem to fit the theme of the mix. And of course, the mix always has a theme or at least is geared for a certain person, creating a theme all its own. I've made mixes with names like "Wild Plums and Agrimony", "Staring into the Abyss", "Take A Drive...", "Beatle Bites", "True Romance", "Happy Crimble To All" and many more. I've compiled songs to create the illusion of a lover's quarrel or even a mental spiral down into depression and suicidal feelings.

There is an art to mixing together the masterpieces of others in order to convey a message to the listener. It's something I take very seriously with every mix I make. Music to me is one of the most intense forms of communication, second only to writing a letter. But imagine writing a letter through the music of others... what a power that could emit!

No comments: